May 7, 2012

Orange Relay for Life ! ! !

Sorry for the delay in postings... I'm finishing up my last week of school before graduation! Hooray!!! I can't wait to move onto the next chapter in life, whatever that may be?

         Anyway, Saturday I had the privilege of attending the Orange Relay for Life event at Orange High School. I had to be there bright and early to kick off the event with the National Anthem! The opening ceremony was very beautiful and I had the opportunity to learn more about Proposition 29 in addition to hearing the testimony of my dear friend Angie Ambriz. She is a breast cancer survivor and gave a very heartwarming and inspiring reason for everyone to be relaying that day.

       Later that afternoon myself and Katie Wayland (Miss Orange County) assisted in the crowning ceremony for the "Miss Relay" event. Let's just say this wasn't your typical "pageant". A few of the teams nominated a male member to participate in this relay pageant, but here was the twist. The men had to be dressed up as women! It was a very entertaining afternoon seeing the "contestants" present themselves in their costumes. We had everything from mermaids to grandmas representing! Once all of the contestants had gathered in their outfits they had 5 minutes to collect as much money as possible. Of course it was only suitable for the speakers to play Chariots of Fire and the theme music from Rocky as the contestants chased down people. After the 5 minutes Katie and I had to count and recount all of the money collected, and man am I glad I have good math skills! Our winner raised approximately $150 and took the crown as our new "Miss Relay"!!! It was a fun event for everyone to watch and participate in and I'm sure will be a conversation topic for quite a while.

       At the end of my time there I made sure to donate to the Relay in honor of my cousin Abi who is still battling cancer. Relay for Life is an amazing event and raises money for cancer research and cancer patients and I was glad I could participate in my local Relay!!!


Vicki, one of the Relay leaders

The beautiful Angie Ambriz!!!




All of the Miss Relay contestants!!!
Miss Relay 2012!



No comments:

Post a Comment