Apr 21, 2012

Flowers and VSA!

           This morning I had the pleasure of being the official City of Orange representative at the Grand Opening of the Dizzy Daisy flower shop! After officially cutting the ribbon, we welcomed Dizzy Daisy into the Orange community and proceeded to a beautiful display of flowers, "shabby chic" inspired furniture, artwork, jewelry, and even candy! I will admit I had a little bite, it was too tempting to resist! I was so amazed by the beauty of the store, I am insisting the interior decorator visit my apartment! The place was gorgeous and the new owners could not have been more proud. I could tell they were feeling emotional with the grand opening and seeing their dreams become a reality. It was such a beautiful thing to witness and I felt very happy for them and I wish them the best in their endeavors. I will certainly be back there to order my own flowers, they are stunning! And who knows, maybe I will have a beautiful Dizzy Daisy centerpiece at Miss California? :)

          Immediately following, I headed over to Main Place Mall in Orange to attend one of my platform's biggest Festivals they host. VSA has been working extremely hard on marketing in Orange County and I believe they did a fantastic job today! I loved watching the groups perform and it touched my heart to witness how much they enjoyed what they were doing. It's something I think we all take for granted sometimes, but they never stopped smiling or performing at 100%. VSA was also kind enough to introduce me to the crowd and I had a nice interaction with the woman who was signing for the speaker. I know a little bit of sign language but what I "said" to her was good enough. That is definitely something I would like to enhance so I can better interact with different disabilities. Sign me up for a class!
          I also had one of my sorority sisters volunteering with me, Claire Cupples, she and I were stationed over at the Abalone necklace making craft table where we helped anyone who wanted to make necklaces. Did you know that abalone shells were once used as currency for Native Americans? Cool right? That was one of the many things I learned today and I will appreciate my new abalone necklace.
     VSA has a huge upcoming fundraiser in June that I am excited to be a part of and I will definitely keep everyone posted on the event's information! Hope you are enjoying the sunshine today!!!!








Claire and I

Ability First performers!






No comments:

Post a Comment