Apr 15, 2012

Miss California Orientation!

           I just returned from the 2012 Miss California Orientation in Fresno, CA and let me say the contestants are fantastic!!! I loved every minute and I will try and describe my experience as accurate as possible. Where to begin?!?!?!

          First, I drove in the torrential downpour - which seemed to overtake Southern California on April 13th - over to Katie Wayland's house to begin our adventure. We packed up our suitcases and outfits into the back of Connie's car and off we went! However, we didn't travel too far too quickly due to traffic. Rain seems to make things slow down, haha. Despite the longer than anticipated trip we managed to entertain ourselves the entire way. I'm pretty sure Connie and Stephanie can now recite all of the lyrics to the new Justin Bieber song "Boyfriend" thanks to Katie and myself. After a long car ride we met up with our good friend and longtime supporter Walter at a local restaurant and enjoyed a much needed dinner!

       After we settled in our hotel room it was time for bed! As Benjamin Franklin stated, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a (wo)man healthy, wealthy, and wise." Or in this case it makes three young women more energized to take on the first day of Miss California orientation. Our day began early as we were prepped by a meeting with Bob Arnhym, the CEO of Miss California, and of course Noelle Freeman, Miss California 2011. Such a great opportunity to receive both of their advice and insights into how the organization operates and is exponentially growing! The day was just getting started. I had a successful talent review, an audio recording for my talent intro, and of course a mock interview! Although I had a fun time I am definitely taking notes on things to improve upon! That evening we gathered for our official cocktail dinner and enjoyed getting to know some other contestants a little bit better. I was lucky enough to sit next to Miss Santa Clara, Caitlin Hoemmelmeyer and she is hilarious! I absolutely love her energy and I can not wait until we are reunited in June! We bonded over many things, including the fact we are struggling with the opening dance numbers. Thank goodness my talent is singing!!! I'm sure with some more practice we will be fine, but at the moment I feel like I should be taking some jazz classes to understand how this movement is supposed to work!  That being said, our rehearsals Saturday night and Sunday morning were mixed with falling down and outbursts of laughing at our failed dance attempts. I also was able to bond a little bit more with the lovely ladies in my competition group... DELTA!!!!!! They are fierce and I am excited to be amongst such a strong group of women!

  Fresno treated us well, despite the initial rain, and I am glad to be back home in my own warm bed. However, if I were staying one more night in Fresno I would rest easily knowing my Sleep Bed Number is 25, haha! The drive back was easy and we only had a few breaks until finally Katie and I broke down and could not contain our humor any longer. Somehow we had managed to travel for 3 hours before remembering to sing our favorite song ;) but don't worry we made up for our lost time! 

UNTIL NEXT TIME FRESNO!!!!!!

Deltas!!!

With our new friend Caitlin! 

The Glamily <3 
Team OC with Bob Arnhym



No comments:

Post a Comment