Mar 4, 2012

Queen For A Day!!!!!


The big day finally arrived!!!! And so did approximately 70 young girls for our 7th annual Queen for a day!

           
           Before the girls arrived, I had a team of volunteers helping me set up the rest of the Grand Street Center with balloons and pink and purple decorations everywhere. I was determined to transform the place into something spectacular with activities fit for a mini-queen, and I think I did a pretty good job. Each of the side rooms contained stations representing each point of the Miss America crown and also included an activity to help the girls learn more about them. Now before I get into describing everything we did I must say a HUGE THANK YOU to all of my volunteers! I could not have successfully pulled this day off without these people: Katie Wayland, Stephanie Patterson, Jill Cook, Amanda Sullivan, Ashley Loh, Holly Hammond, Schane Clark, Kristen Kubiak, Annalisa Black, Kelsea Rossi, and Katherine Schwappach. And of course big thank you to my E.D Connie Benson, my parents and my boyfriend for helping me out especially with things the day of!

Here are the fun activities I planned for each station that all of the girls loved!!!

         Service - The girls created Happy Birthday cards for the children in CHOC that I am going to take over and donate, they also decorated cupcakes that they later gave to a new friend they met in their groups. I also came over and told them about my personal platform VSA and the importance of having a heart full of service for others.

         Style - This was probably one of the most popular stations because it involved the pampering portion for the girls. They were able to have their hair, nails, make-up (very light), and even face-painting done! The girls loved having a people from Disneyland and Nickelodeon painting characters and fun designs on their faces and hands. I even got a pretty orange flower and Hello Kitty on my two hands!

        Scholarship - At this station the girls wrote their dream jobs on a foam crown and then attached it to a drawing of themselves achieving that dream and finally become what they wanted to be when they grew up! Then they went around and shared with other girls and also decorated bookmarks. The leaders at this station helped explain to the girls that scholarship is a great way to help you go to college and eventually fulfill your dreams.

      Success - Here we taught the girls a little lesson in etiquette and manners. Nowadays not all children have daily dinner meals with their family and so we wanted to make sure they knew proper dining etiquette and how to properly use utensils. They also learned the importance of a good handshake and making eye contact when meeting new people. At the end of the lesson the girls wrote a thank you note to their parents for allowing them to attend Queen for a Day. Also, following good queenly activities they learned how to curtsey!

      After rotating through each station the girls enjoyed a delicious lunch donated by Opus - an Italian Restaurant in Orange, CA. We had yummy pasta and salad with warm bread and lots of bottled water! We let the girls play for a little bit until we began our dance lesson. My little Amanda Sullivan choreographed a fun, FIERCE dance to the Cheetah Girl song "Strut". Let me just say, these girls definitely know how to strut and be spectacular!

      After the dance, I reviewed the fun cheer that I had taught most of the girls when I visited their schools and they all nailed it! It was just a fun way for them to remember the Four Points and hopefully remember what they learned at Queen for a Day. We then all gathered in our groups and the girls wrapped up their team leaders in toilet paper for our toilet paper fashion show. Because it isn't about WHAT you wear but HOW you wear it. Although there was so toilet paper covering our team leaders that you could barely even see them! It was a lot of fun and even I joined in and was covered in toilet paper from crown to toe!

        At around 2:15 the parents returned to watch their daughters get crowned and receive their official Queen certificates signed by myself, Carolyn Cavecche - the Mayor of Orange, and Connie Benson.  The girls also performed their dance and cheer for the parents and I'm sure they were talking non-stop about the fun things they learned at the event. I certainly hope a lot of them come back in September to participate in our Queen dance at the next Miss City of Orange pageant!


CHECK OUT MORE PHOTOS ON THE QUEEN FOR A DAY TAB!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment